Document Handling (Options dialog box)
this dialog box to modify the default file type for new forms, the
recently used file list, compression and backup options, image file
browser options, and font substitution options.
To display this dialog box, select Tools > Options and select
Document Handling from the list on the left.
- Default File Type For New Forms
- Specifies the default file type for new forms. This setting
affects the Save As dialog box default and the file format used
in the Preview PDF tab if the form has never been saved.
- Static PDF Form (*.pdf)
- Saves forms as static PDF, based on the Acrobat and Adobe
Reader target version specified. Static PDF forms render once and
are displayed on the client in the Acrobat or Adobe Reader target
version. They are not rerendered in response to user interaction.
The PDF form may have been designed with a flowable layout, but
when the static PDF form is created, its layout is fixed and the
resulting PDF form will not rerender on the client. Static PDF forms
can be interactive or non-interactive.
- Dynamic XML Form (*.pdf)
- Saves forms as dynamic PDF, based on the Acrobat and Adobe
Reader target version. The form design can contain dynamic elements.
Dynamic PDF forms render on the client in Adobe Reader and, depending
on the end-user interactions, can rerender on the client several
times. Changes to the appearance of an object are possible in Adobe
Reader because Adobe Reader has enough information to rerender the
final output. For example, objects can change color, pagination
can change, and objects can appear or disappear. If the end user
clicks a button that adds a new row to a table, the form is rerendered
in Adobe Reader.
- Adobe XML Form File (.xdp)
- Sets the default file type for new forms to the native XML-based
file format created by Designer. Use this option if you will be
using Forms. Notice that the XDP Preview Format setting in the Preview
tab (Form Properties dialog box) controls the PDF used for Preview
PDF for this file type.
- Recently Used File List
- Controls the number of files shown in the recently used file
list. Type the number of file names to display. The maximum is 10.
- Save PDF Files Compressed
- Compresses PDF files when saved.
- Create Backup Copy on Save
- Creates a backup file when you save a form design. The backup
copy is saved in the same location as the form design. _BAK is appended
to the file name before the extension. The backup copy preserves the
previous version of a file when you save, in case you need to restore
the previous version.
- Create Translation IDs when Saving
- Creates identifiers (XLIFF) for the translatable text in
the form design. XLIFF is an XML-based format for exchanging localization
data. See Prepare for translation for more information.
- Show Default File Browser
- Specifies the file browser that you want to use as a default.
You can load an external COM component (such as a file browser component)
that looks in a specialized repository. If you have any such components
registered on your computer, Designer detects them and displays
them in this list.
- Modify Font Substitutions
- Defines font substitutions for documents that are missing
- Show Missing Fonts dialog box only if fonts do not
have a substitution defined
- Displays the Missing Fonts dialog box if one or more fonts
do not have a substitution defined.
- Show Warning dialog box when Report palette is hidden
- Displays the Target Version Warning dialog box when the Report
palette is hidden.