Using the Track Text Edits feature in Adobe FrameMaker 8.0
This tutorial demonstrates the new Track Text Edits feature in Adobe FrameMaker 8.0. This feature allows you to track any changes that are made to your document over time, since all information about the applied changes is preserved in an XML file. You will learn how to edit your document, and you will also learn how to preview the various versions of your document, and how to save them as PDF files.
To follow along with this article, you need this software:
- FrameMaker 8.0
- General knowledge of FrameMaker.
Using the Track Text Edits feature
- In FrameMaker 8.0, choose File > Open and select the L01_structured.fm file. Click Open.
- There are two ways to access the Track Text Edits function:
- Select Special > Track Text Edits > Enable, to activate the tracking function, or
- choose View > Track Text Edit Bar to open up the Track Text Edits toolbar. Click the Enable/Disable icon to the far left. (See Figure 1)
When you make changes in your document, the alterations are displayed in red and green.
Deleted words or sentences will turn red and a strike through style is applied to the selection.
When you replace a word or sentence, your new addition appears in green, and the replaced text appears in red with a strike through style applied.
New additions to your document will appear in green. (See Figure 2).
The Text Track Edits function offers more options right at your fingertips. You can jump browse the changes that you have made, you can choose to accept or reject the alterations and you have several preview options. You can choose to preview the original, the edited version with your changes and corrections visible, or the final document with all the changes accepted.
Save as XML
- Click the Preview Off icon in the Track Text Edits toolbar to turn the document preview off.
- Choose File > Save as XML... to save the edited document as an XML-file.
- Open the XML-file in a text editor.
- In FrameMaker, choose File > Open and choose your XML file.
- Click Open.
All information about the applied changes is preserved in an XML file. You can open the XML file in FrameMaker and continue editing. When you save the document back to XML, all edited information is preserved through the XML roundtrip.
As you can see, the XML file contains all the text tracking information, displayed between the <FM> tags. (See Figure 3).
The Track Text Edits information is preserved in the same XML file until all text edits are accepted. When all edits are accepted, the additional Track Text Edits information will be removed from the file.
Save as PDF
- Click the Preview Final icon in the Track Text Edits toolbar to preview the final version of the document with all changes applied.
- Choose File > Save as PDF...
- Choose your prefered PDF settings and click Set.
At this point you might want to save your document as a PDF. Since the PDF export will adjust to your current preview settings, there are consequently three kinds of PDF outputs available. You can save the Final document, with all the alterations accepted, you can save the original, with no alterations, or you can save the document with the Preview turned off. With the Preview turned off, all your alterations will be visible when the document is saved as a PDF file.
The PDF is now created.
Where to go from here
For more information and additional tutorials, visit the Adobe Design Center.